Pilar de la Horadada
Pilar de la Horada is the most Southern town and municipality on the Costa Blanca in the province of Alicante, placed just on the border between Comunidad Valencia and the Murcia Region. The town Pilar de la Horadada is a typical Spanish town, located 2 km from the coast. Along the coastline of Pilar de la Horadada you find the small towns of Torre de la Horadada and Mil Palmeras.
The area offers a typical Mediterranean climate, with cool sea breezes in summer and protection by surrounding mountains against the North winds in winter. Here you can enjoy more than 3,000 hours of sunshine per year and an average temperature which easily exceeds 20 degrees.
In the centre of Pilar de la Horadada you will find all facilities: boutiques, pastry shops, banks, etc. all along the main Calle Mayor. You will also experience a nice atmosphere near the local church at “Plaza de la Iglesia” with several cafés. There are also many good restaurants offering the local cuisine to a very high standard. The local surrounding farms provide them with fruits and vegetables; artichokes, peppers, beans, cauliflower’s, oranges, lemons, figs, peaches, melons and plums, to name but a few.
In Pilar de la Horadada you will also find a well developed cycle network and you can choose from a wide range of sport activities. Lo Romero Golf course is just a short drive away.
Torre de la Horadada
Torre de la Horadada is a small coastal town, but with all necessary facilities, such as supermarkets, medical center and two main plazas, “Pueblo Latino” and “The Square”, home to a great variety of restaurants and bars. In Torre de la Horadada you will also find a beautiful marina and a lovely promenade along the beach.
The village takes it’s name from an impressing watchtower, built back in 1591 to protect inhabitants of the town against the Mediterranean pirates.
Visiting Torre de la Horadada leaves you a feeling of being part of the Spanish society, this place is very popular among the Spanish population, many families from other parts of Spain, mainly Madrid and Murcia enjoy their summer residence here.
Mil Palmeras literally means a thousand palms. Mil Palmeras is a quiet coastal town that really comes to life in the summer months as a popular holiday destination, known for its sandy beaches and clean clear water. It offers a wide selection of restaurants and bars.
The coastline of Pilar de la Horadada is more than 4 kilometres long. Along the coast you can find great sand banks combined with small rock formations full of marine diversity. You can nearly walk along the whole coastline thanks to the many beautiful promenades.
The peaceful sea and the lack of steep slopes in the small bays, makes the beaches very secure for children.
The ideal conditions of the beaches in Pilar de la Horadada has made them obtain the Blue Flag of the European Union, providing a guarantee of healthy surroundings. In addition, they offer a wide range of facilities and easy accessibility for disabled people.
Beaches from North to South:
- Vistamar: It is the beach which is situated further north in Pilar de la Horadada, bordering the municipality of Orihuela Costa, and it is connected with the beach of Mil Palmeras and Rio, not only along the coast but also by a promenade that runs along the natural rocks.
- Mil Palmeras: One of the beaches that are accessible for disabled people in Pilar de la Horadada. It is one of the most frequented as it has a large number of services available such as a children’s entertainment area, beach bars, boat rental, beach hammocks, as well as being very close to many restaurants. On summer evenings the beach promenade is filled with a handcraft market which ends after midnight. From September till December and from February till May, this beach hosts a brand new project named Hibernis Mare (Winter beach). It is a programme with free activities for all ages, like play centre, skating lessons and other sport activities like zumba, aerobox, tai chi, yoga, etc.
- El Río: This beach receives its name from the river Río Seco, that reaches the Sea on this beach. Recently a new wooden bridge has been inaugurated here, so you can walk along the beach from Torre de la Horadada to Mil Palmeras.
- Rocamar: This beach consists of several small hidden coves which attract people in search of inspiration and couples who demand peace and relax.
- Los Jesuitas: is a cove of wide dimensions. Here you find a permanent volleyball net which attract many young people to play different sports. Between the beach and the first of the Rocamar coves is the “Puntal del Gato”, a little cape from where you can enjoy a magnificent view of the coast of Pilar de la Horadada.
- El Conde: It’s the beach just next to the famous watchtower from 1591 and the local police station. A magical place to enjoy the sunrise. A small beach but with all necessary facilities.
- El Puerto: Beach accessible by a ramp located in the harbour, where the Yacht Club organizes sailing courses and regattas. In Summer, this beach holds different sport leagues and championships, swimming crossings and other events which give plenty of life to this harbour beach.
- Las Villas: Many children love to come to this beach with their beach bucket and play to be crab fishers in the rocky area. It is a beach of fine white sand and clear waters. From here the Sardinero’s seafront promenade starts, and ends at Jesuitas Beach.
- Las Higuericas: It’s a very popular beach among the Spanish population. It is one of the most visited beaches in the area in summer as it is accessible to disabled people, it has a large car park and a children’s play area on the sand and another play area in the water. Along the beach you find a beautiful promenade with palm trees which is perfect for both walking and cycling. Furthermore, during the summer evenings the parking plot is used for concerts organized by the town council.
- El Mojón: It is the most southern beach of the municipality of Pilar de la Horadada and the Costa Blanca, located on the border of the Murcia Region and Costa Calida at the tip of the Mar Menor. It is an open beach of golden sand and with a beautiful dune and natural Mediterranean environment.